Shower drain - Glue or Caulkless?

Users who are viewing this thread

mccm

Reaction score
Moving right along here with my new basement roughin. Inspection's done and re-slabbed. Now ready to frame in and install the shower pain.

Question for the group. I see that the shower drains are offered in glue-on and caulkless. The caulkless has a rubber o-ring that you push down onto the pipe while you glue the other.

Pros and cons for these?

Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

IF the drain is part of a shower unit, then the gasketed one is the easiest to install. If you are making a tile shower, then the glue on one will stay in position better, and have less chance of being dislodged or tipped.

mccm

Reaction score
This is a shower stall kit with the floor pan and walls, not tiled.

The caulkless does seem much easier, with some room for error.

For the amateur weekender, the glue seems like a one time chance which is not good!

Measure 3 times cut twice :)

Guess I'm just curious as it seems the caulkless would have a better chance of leaking or coming loose. Maybe not.

Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks