Should you use a PEX stiffener with CTS fitting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikeiii

Reaction score
Do you need to use a stiffener when connecting 1/2" PEX to a CTS fitting? Below is the fitting and stiffener I'm referencing. The SeaTech fitting doesn't come with the stiffener and the salesman says you don't need them and they don't sell them. I've seen videos that use them. I'm confused.

Thanks

Attachments

• PEXstiffener.jpg
    PEXstiffener.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 203
  • SeaTech Elbow.jpg
    SeaTech Elbow.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 261

Mikeiii

Reaction score
CTS (copper tubing size) is a size, not a type of fitting. Normal PEX is CTS, as are CPVC and copper pipe. Your images did not work for us. I see http://www.seatechinc.com/... Many push-on fittings, such as SharkBite, often have a built-in stiffener. http://www.seatechinc.com/Technical/Product_Features does not show such a stiffener.

Thanks. I updated the post by uploading the photos. I'm using this in an RV that is plumbed using 1/2" PEX and plastic fittings.

Reach4

Reaction score
You are connecting PEX to what? Unless you know for sure, measure that what you will connect to is 0.625 OD.

Mikeiii

Reaction score

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, many fittings that either use a push-on connection or compression require a stiffener to ensure a water-tight seal when used on pex. It's not unusual for the pipe to be slightly out-of-round, and the stiffener helps with that, too, making the o-ring actually work properly. Follow the instructions for the fitting you choose to use.

Both the Watts and Sharkbite fittings have an internal stiffener, and you'd need one to use a standard compression shutoff valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks