Should We Keep Drum Trap?

Users who are viewing this thread

Erin Jackson

Reaction score
Hi, we are redoing our bathroom and continue to run into snags along the way. Today's major snag is about a drum trap that was discovered once the bathtub was removed. We plan on converting to a single shower but now don't know what to do with the drum trap. Since I've been in the house, the tub drain has always run slow. Now that the tub is gone and the drum trap was revealed (originally buried under the tub), we are wondering if the drum trap will be the best solution for a shower. Neither one of us are plumbers and much of the remod is trial and error. I hate to see the floor ripped up to have a pipe replaced and the drum trap changed to P trap, but I think this is the best in the long run. If I had to guess what was done initially with the previous owners, I'd say that they opted to ignore the drum trap and simply add a shower head to the original tub. The house was built in 1946 and based on what I've read, this is typical of an older house which was not equipped with a shower back then. Any help or advice you can offer would be great!

Erin Jackson

Reaction score
It was typical of a bathtub, regardless of whether it had a shower or not. At this point, remove it and go with a "P" trap.
Thank you! Hopefully we can just take out the drum trap and attach a P trap to the existing pipe without tearing up the floor....any thoughts on that?

Reach4

Reaction score
Thank you! Hopefully we can just take out the drum trap and attach a P trap to the existing pipe without tearing up the floor....any thoughts on that?
A p-trap needs a vent for the trap arm. You can probably manage that.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Without being there to see what and how things are connected, it's sort of like asking how high is up?! No way to tell how easy or hard it would be to change the trap out without at least a picture, and even then, that may not be enough information without being there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks