Should I replace the input/output lines on new water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

MikiCab

Reaction score
Should I replace the water input+valve/output water lines to the water heater when replacing the water heater? Water heater is about 15 years old and started leaking. The water lines are the copper corrugated flex kind.
There does not seem to be any issue with them visually but just wondering if they wear our or corrode internally with time. There is a bit of green staining on the input line at one of the connectors but it is not wet.
Thanks for the advice

Phog

Reaction score
Yes, replace them. You will find that the old ones can still seal up & work for awhile longer. But the soft copper will harden over time, and every time you flex them around more, you are adding fatigue. They are not intended for reuse, and may fail during the 15yr lifespan of your new water heater. Or you may get lucky -- but why build in a possible future headache & flood? It's not like they're super expensive. The only time I would reuse a flex line is as a temporary fix in a pinch. And I would be out to the store for new ones to swap in soon after.

(You can reuse the valve though, if it's not the kind that's built in to the flex line)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Anytime I remove a flex I toss it. What a horrible way to try to save a buck. A new water heater should always get new flexes.

Last edited:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I never used a flexy connection on a water heater. Learning everyday

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I use type L copper for all above ground water lines including heating and type K for under ground . My new employees use propress I like to braze . I think it looks a lot neater and less chance of a leak. Even if it takes a few minutes more

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
On the "Earthquake Coast" we use flexes. We also earthquake strap our water heaters.

They really should be made code everywhere and also flex SS gas connectors...
so many houses and floors settle or rise and create stress in the solid copper lines .....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks