Should I install either of these toilets with visible imperfections?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff H Nelson II

Reaction score
Hey all. I have two toilets at home that I'm considering installing, but both have slight imperfections. The first 2 pictures show a Kohler Santa Rosa 1-piece with very small gaps in a porcelain ring that goes around the back of the toilet. The last three pics are of a TOTO UltraMax II with what looks like a 1/3" crack in a joint where a stabilizer arm (per TOTO customer service) protrudes from the porcelain abutting the flush chamber.

I talked to both manufacturers' customer service and shared these pictures, and each said that the imperfections are merely cosmetic and won't be problematic functionally. That said, I've previously had to rip out flooring to deal with a leaking toilet, so I want to be as sure as possible that these toilets won't end up leaking due to these imperfections. Would you return either or both of these? Thanks for your help!

Kohler Santa Rosa:

toilet-blem-01.jpg

toilet-blem-02.jpg

Toto UltraMax II:

toilet-blem-03.jpg

toilet-blem-04.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
There all blems and nothing structural as you were told. The crack is the porcelain and not the clay, If you want to return them and get two others, they more than likely have more blems. Once installed there will be no leaks and these blems probably never be noticed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks