Should a closet flange be secured to the floor?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Ray P, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Ray P

Ray P New Member

Okay, deleted all and re-starting. Is a closet flange supposed to be secured to the floor? My existing flange is rather corroded, and I don't want to re-use it as I expect it will fail when I draw the bolts tight. But 2 things I noticed: 1) the flange is not attached to the floor in any way. 2) the the flange and pvc pipe have at least two inches of vertical play, even though the pipe is supposed to be imbedded in the concrete slab. Is this normal? It looks like the only thing the two mounting bolts did was actually snug the pvc pipe up to the bottom of the toilet, but did not in any way hold the toilet itself to the floor.

As for the corroded flange, I have a 2-piece split flange I can install after I cut out the existing one. It has provision for fasteners. Should I screw this into the concrete deck once I have it in place around/under the pvc?

I figure I can level the uneven tile under the new toilet with some dap or concrete.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  2. Ray P

Ray P New Member

changed to read: With the old flange out of the way, I'm surprised at the large space around the pvc pipe. should I fill this with concrete (okay, just mortar really), or spray in some foam? It doesn't look like I'll even have material to mount to under the new ring

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement