1. Steven Palmisano

    Steven Palmisano New Member

    Jan 21, 2007
    Recently I had some work performed on my well and water purification system (new pressure switch, new control box, etc.). I was cleaning the weeds from around the water purifcation tanks, pump, etc., had one hand on the well pump metal pipe and the other hand touch the pressure switch at which point I was shocked. I put a tester to the two points of contact and getting about 105 (varying) volts. Any advice...


    Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  2. Rancher

    Rancher Guest

    Have whomever you had work on the system come back and fix it, tell them your dog got electrocuted and you're afraid one of the kids will be next :D

  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

  4. Hube

    Hube New Member

    Sep 1, 2004
  5. Gary Slusser

    Gary Slusser That's all folks!

    Aug 31, 2004
    Wherever I park the motorhome.
    Yep, honesty is always the best policy and can prevent someone from making assumptions that gets them hurt. That then would be on the guy giving the misleading/false info.

    And it may have been like this from day one... or the pump or a worn cable is causing it etc. so it may not be something the last guy did or didn't do.
  6. Bob NH

    Bob NH In the Trades

    Oct 20, 2005
    New Hampshire
    As a start, one or both of the items is not adequately grounded. All of the metal parts of the system should be grounded/bonded to an Equipment Grounding Conductor that goes back to the grounding bar in the service panel or sub-panel. For power conductors up to 10 AWG, the Equipment Grounding Conductor should be at least as large as the largest power conductor supplying the equipment.

    You could check each of the "hot points" independently to ground to find which is the source of the leakage. The best way to do that is usually with an extension cord to another independent circuit so you can check voltage relative to the ground terminal of the receptacle. You can also check to the hot terminal of the extension cord to see if you get 0 or 240 Volts, which will give you an idea of the phase of the leaking conductor.

    You should try to measure with no load (just your meter), and with a load across the connection (such as a lamp). You will probably find no voltage with the load. If it lights the lamp, there is a very serious problem.
Similar Threads: Shocking
Forum Title Date
Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life. setting up new well/system and shocking question Feb 13, 2011
Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life. confused about shocking well, or not Sep 11, 2010
Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life. Hydrogen Peroxide shocking??? Mar 21, 2009
Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life. Shocking a well ????? Dec 8, 2008

Share This Page