Shallow well or deep well pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

Alcraw

Reaction score
In the basement of my house I have a well stubbed up through the floor, presumably what supplied water to the house when it was originally built. The house was later converted over to city water and the well capped off before I purchased it. I would like to utilize this well to put in a sprinkler system. The pipe is 1 1/4". I hit water at around 5' but the well itself is about 55' deep. From doing a little research, water at 5' would make this a shallow well, but the pump I put on it (brand new) won't pull water. I have the pump primed properly from check valve, through the pump, and more. I borrowed a gas powered trash pump to check the well before I bought a new electric pump and water was flowing just fine. Do I need to get a deep well pump instead?

Reach4

Reaction score
2 inch casing?

I borrowed a gas powered trash pump to check the well before I bought a new electric pump and water was flowing just fine. Do I need to get a deep well pump instead?
No, not if the trash pump did not run out of water.

Reach4

Reaction score
Use a foot valve. It is hard to prime below a check valve.
I would put that foot valve about 35 ft below the pump. That has plenty of margin that will prevent the foot valve from sucking air if the water level drops. The pump would just supply lower gpm if the water level dropped.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks