Shallow well, CSV, water tank, drip irrigation

Can you use a CSV with a shallow well pump that feeds a water tank?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

NapaDave

Reaction score
I have a 25' shallow well with a 4" well casing. I have 12' of water in the spring and 6-7' of water in the casing by September. The well will only be used for drip irrigation for a residential home as we have city water to the house. We are about 250' from a year-round creek (slow trickle in the summer) that supplies the water. I expect this to be a low GPM well and have been planning to install a shallow well to fill up a 250 gallon tank that will have its own pump to pressurize the drip irrigation system.

I'm concerned about "dry well" and having the motor cycle on and off when it fills the storage tank. Cycle Stop Valves sound like a great solution but I'm not sure if they are used with shallow wells that fill tanks, and what do they do if the well temporarily goes dry (hopefully not)? Do you just set them for a very low flow and let the pump run when it fills up after morning irrigation use lowers the tank volume (and a float triggers it on and off)? This way it might only get one start and stop a day.

There are so many different CSV configurations I wasn't sure where to start, but I have watched the videos and I get the concepts. Should I even look at a Dole Flow Control Valve in this mix?

So....shallow well pump, say 1/2 hp (any recommended brands), a CSV (no idea which one), a water tank with float shutoffs (do you really need a low and a high one - I dont think I'd pump it dry), a booster pump with a pressure tank and/or CSV to feed the irrigation system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Sure you can. But if the well will produce as much as the drip system needs, there is no reason to pump to a storage tank and use a second pump to supply the drip system. Just use a regular shallow well jet pump like the Goulds J5SH and add a PK1A kit. The Cycle Stop Valve in the PK1A kit will make the output of the pump match the drip system. You can set the drip zones to use 1-3-5 GPM as needed, and the Cycle Stop Valve will supply exactly 1-3-5 GPM as being used.

Now if your drip system uses 3 GPM and the well can't make 3 GPM, then a storage tank and extra booster pump would be needed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks