Sewer smell/Trap access?

Users who are viewing this thread

CCF

Reaction score
We moved into our recently remodeled, late-50s ranch home last summer. The previous owner did most of the remodeling work himself + favors from construction and trade companies.

In the (mostly finished) basement, in the rec room, there is capped off plumbing for a future sink/wetbar setup, with a Studor Mini-Vent above. The smaller drain line is capped with a 1.5" knock out plug, and the other larger (cleanout?) line has a larger metal plug. I don't know the right terminology.

[Please see pics]

Anyway, there is a godawful smell seeping into the room from the small drain line in spite of the plug. Based on my newfound yet limited plumbing knowledge, I'm assuming that there is (hopefully) a P- or S-trap in the wall behind this opening that has just dried up and the fumes are therefore getting in. But I wouldn't be surprised if some of this were done incorrectly, since we've found other issues with things like plumbing and electrical, post-move-in, that were not caught during inspection.

If a dry trap is indeed the problem, how would one go about accessing it to refill? Or is this something that would require us to call in a professional?

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 213
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 207
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 207
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 234
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 216

Reach4

Reaction score
Anyway, there is a godawful smell seeping into the room from the small drain line in spite of the plug.
You are saying there is a strong smell in the place shown in 3.jpg I think.

There would be no trap behind 3.jpg.

Try putting thin plastic over the smelly thing, and secure it with a rubber band. If that does not stop the smell, try isolating areas with thin cheap plastic drop cloths held in place with masking tape. Sniff each side of the drop cloth to see which side has the smell.

No strong smell from the 5.jpg area, right? If in doubt, cover that with a plastic bag and seal with tape or rubber band.

Now if you want to put a sink there some day, you could glue in a trap adapter. There must be something that could reliably plug an unused trap adapter. The advantage of a trap adapter is that it is ready to add a slip drain line to later. I would just make sure that your current workaround stops the smell.

husky-drop-cloth.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

CCF

Reaction score
Ok, so we would have to complete the plumbing (install a P-trap) for a sink, etc. for it to be properly sealed then, right?

Smell is definitely coming from picture 3. Is there any better semi-permanent solution for that? Better seal/plug product, etc. than whatever plug is in it now? Have the plastic wrap on it now.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is there any better semi-permanent solution for that? Better seal/plug product, etc. than whatever plug is in it now? Have the plastic wrap on it now.
Instead of rubber bands, I really like the bands made of EPDM. They last a lot longer. There is a lot to be said for electrical tape too. It lasts nicely. It is available in different colors.

I am not sure that test plug is even glued in. You might be able to pick that out rather than breaking it out.

If you glued a trap adapter in there, you would be ready to add slip tubing for a drain. The Sioux chief Quickplug 234-QP2 (1-1/4) or 234-QP (1-1/2) https://www.siouxchief.com/products/drainage/testing/test-devices/miscellaneous/quickplug could be used to plug that temporarily and look pretty good.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
That one is 1-1/2.

Last edited:

CCF

Reaction score
Thanks to all for the help. Cling wrap doubled over with a couple rubber bands is currently doing the trick. Should have done that a long time ago! We’ll look into the other temporarily plug solutions as well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks