Sewer smell after replacing tank parts

Users who are viewing this thread

John Cornish

Reaction score
So, I see a lot of posts about sewer smell after installing an entirely new toilet. However, mine is a little different. I had to replace the tank innards as the old had stopped functioning. I did not replace the mounted flush valve as there was no need to, so I just replaced the fill valve, handle, and connecting parts. Outside of having to go back and adjust the height of the fill valve, it's functioning well.

Now, I've never had a sewer smell in that bathroom in the 16 years I've been here. But since my work it's very heavy. All the forums talk about the gaskets and seals, but I didn't even come close to messing with them. So where could the odor be coming from??

SAS

Reaction score
I'm hoping that you'll get some responses from more experienced folks than I, but here's my 2 cents. I know that you said that you "didn't even come close to messing with ... the gaskets and seals," but I'm guessing that you inadvertently did mess with them. While working on the tank you may have pushed down or back in a way that rocked the toilet enough to break the seal on the wax ring. There's a lot of leverage working in that direction, since the tank sits on the back of the bowl structure well beyond the center of gravity.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks