Sewer line replacement problems

Users who are viewing this thread

marys235

Reaction score
I've got roots getting into my cast iron sewer line (the line under the house, not in the yard), which I have had cleaned out twice. A plumber recently ran a video through the line, thought the line might be damaged. I have had foundation problems, and had piers put in all around the house 3 years ago, when I bought it, and now understand that can cause damage to sewer pipes. The plumber said the line under the house needs to be replaced, has cracks in it and is uneven, with standing water. He showed me the video (yuck!), and it does look like what he said.

I don't really want to dig up the foundation of my house, I'm trying to research pipe relining and "trenchless" pipe replacement (pipe bursting). Supposedly, pipe relining would not require any digging inside the house, just inserting the lining material at the cleanout. So far, I haven't found anyone who does it around here, and don't know if it really works. The other would require one hole in the house, in the bathroom, and one outside. Anyone know anything about these two methods? Is either one better than the other? Or could I continue to just clean out the roots occasionally, and not replace the pipe? The plumber said the leak from the sewer line could cause more foundation problems, and the line will collapse at some point.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

What he said is not impossible, but it would be so rare that I would want to see the video myself, and also verify that it is actually the one for your house. I have known some companies to have a "stock" tape that they use to sell "unnecessary" repairs. It would be very difficult to get a cast iron pipe smooth enough on the inside to perform a good lining.

marys235

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, HJ, I'm having another plumber come out Monday and give me a second opinion. I wanted to remodel that bathroom, but obviously don't want to start putting in new tile if I'm going to have to dig up the floor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks