Sewer Cleanout Cap?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by zp1418, May 4, 2020.

1. zp1418

zp1418 New Member

Hit what I think is the sewer cleanout cap with lawn mower. It is right by the sidewalk, closer to the street then the house. Not broken all the way through, just took a big chunk out. Should I replace? How do you remove this type of cap? It doesn't appear to be threaded. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  2. plumber69

plumber69 In the Trades

Probably fine. And it should pull off if you pry each side back and forth

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. zp1418

zp1418 New Member

That's what I figured thanks for the reply. Ok to remove and take to hardware store to match up?

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Yes, but
    • If you see purple on the pipe just under that cap, you will not be able to wiggle off.
    • For that little damage, no reason to bother to replace with the same thing.
    • You can put in a lower cap to clear the lawn mower blace (maybe with flush screw cap) but you would have to cut the PVC down a bit.

6. zp1418

zp1418 New Member

Ok, makes sense. Thanks for the help. Could this type of cap be used? Seems like the blades would have a better chance of clearing it.

Attached Files:

7. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Yes. However you were going to raise the blade until fall anyway.

8. zp1418

zp1418 New Member

True. I guess the advantage of the black cap is I can just get it online. Thanks for help.