Sewage Pit

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by CanadianSal, May 2, 2019.

1. CanadianSal

CanadianSal New Member

My home sits on a Septic System. The basement has a roughed in Toilet and Shower. In searching for the Pit, I found it in the next room - concreted over and unmarked. This house is about 30 years old. I finally found the hollow spot and found the pit.
    Its filled with Water. The Water actually rises and falls - I am assuming that this dissipates under the foundation f the house?

My question is - if I install the Sewage Bin and the Ejector pump, do I need to install a sump pump in the same pit? So I will need to fit 2 bins side by side in the same pit?
    I am assuming that there should have been a sump pump in that pit all along. I have set up a temporary put to get the water out, but my main goal is to install the toilet and Shower - so I will need the ejector pump installed. Thoughts on how to manage this?

Sal

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    Normally to catch the ground water, you have a trench or pit gravel lined with a sump pump to the outside. That pump can have a 1.5" line with check valve.
    The sewage ejector needs to be tight and contained to prevent odors. It will need a 2"pipe with check valve and shutoff leading to a 4" if you have it, or at least a 3".
    The sewage pump also needs a 2" vent to the air through the roof.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. CanadianSal

CanadianSal New Member

Thank you. Does this mean that i will have to dig adjacent separate pit to catch the water? I am new to this, and I was assuming that perhaps, I can dig the pit deeper and install a submersible pump under the basin? this way everything can be sealed? I am guessing this is not correct?
    And I saw somewhere on the forum that Putting holes in the basin is not a good idea either.

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

If it were a septic pit, it would contain stuff that would not usually be described as water. Were you being overly delicate when you said water? You might have a water cistern or even a well in the basement, and the septic tank is out in the yard. Follow the sewer pipes in the basement. Where do they point to?