Severe Water Hammer from long downhill run.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by tobinator, Jun 29, 2008.

1. tobinator

tobinator New Member

Any advice? I have a 36" hydrant (quick close) and a 3/4" black poly line in approximately a 200' run with about 36' of elevation drop. In other words, my hydrant is WAY downhill from my home. When the hydrant is turned off, there is a HUGE shock wave that hammers the pipes in my house hard enough to damage something. My temp solution is to mostly close the supply valve that leaves my house, but that limits the volume too severly.

Directing a slow close is useless as I have three small kids.

I am thinking about a couple possible solutions:
    * a spring loaded check valve near the hydrant
    * a homestyle hammer arrestor- a tee with long 3/4" galvanized riser capped with a shrader valve to reintroduce air to cushion the hammer. The hammer arrestor would be inline with pipe run, not 90 degrees to it.

I want to do it right, NOT do it again.
    Thanks,

Matt

2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    Why not a real hammer arrester? These have a piston and seal, and need no maintenance.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement