Setting tub/shower in basement need help.

Users who are viewing this thread

97STROKE

Reaction score
My bath is roughed in for a toilet and a sink. There is no drain coming up through the concret for the tub, there is a drawing that says tub drain but thats it. i have bought my tub/shower. what is the next step? I am sure i will have to dig up the concret but how big of area do i need to dig up?

thanks in advance

Brad

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Consider that you will have to work in the hole to cut pipe and install the trap. I would rather oversize the hole that try to fight one that was too small. Remember, the patch does not have to be as thick as the original floor nor does it have to be finished off for public viewing. I'd use sand around the trap and then mortar about 3" thick topping it off. If you ever had to get into the trap, it would be very quick and easy to break the mortar out. The pros may have a more finite opinion on the size they would like, but I'm thinking something like 2'x3'.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks