Setting medium for shower pan

Users who are viewing this thread

Brenda_MD

Reaction score
We had a fiberglass tub/shower unit like the one in this picture removed and are converting over to a shower only. My tile person highly recommended that the plumber set the shower pan using Structolite. From his experience, it provides a much more stable base under the shower pan without the squeaks that other mediums allow when you stand on the shower pan.

I talked with my plumber requesting they use Structolite. They said because we were going from a fiberglass unit to a shower pan, they put in support and wrap the shower pan in PVC wrap and tuck it in. I am completely unknowledgeable about such things, but it seems to me a setting base such as Structolite would provide a much more solid/stable base for the shower pan instead of doing a PVC wrap. Personally, I think they are blowing smoke because they don't want to deviate from their method, my two cents.

Appreciate your experiences and advice. Thanks.

TubShower.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
To be honest, I don't know what they mean by a PVC wrap.

Most manufacturers either recommend or require you bed their pan in mortar. There are some that are stiff enough to not require that, but then the floor must be perfectly flat and level, which is not all that common. Bedding the pan or tub does two things:
- ensures you can end up with it level - important to drain properly and for the walls to fit (assuming you've plumbed the walls, too)
- provides support for the base so it doesn't flex that can lead to stress fractures down the road

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like the plumber is talking about a PVC liner same concept as a hot mop pan? Make sure you all are on same page I wouldn't think plumber is blowing smoke , and you are talking about a fiberglass pan, They are all three common in my area and discussion needs to be clear on which type pan is going in . if you want him use the certain brand mud tell him

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks