Septic smells outside the house

Users who are viewing this thread

west

Reaction score
We just had an addition added to the main house and at the same time we enlarged the septic tank from 1k to 1.5k gallons. Since then we smell the septic system outside, around the house, at different times. The smell is coming from the vent pipes the come out of the roof in the new addition.

We never had this problem before. I'll assume for the moment that all the new plumbing was done correctly because it was inspected (but you never know). The septic tank drains down to a distribution box about 200 feet away from the house and about 50 feet lower in elevation. The distribution box inside looks good and the field seems to be working, nothing is perking up from the ground nor backing up; everything below the septic tank worked before the addition was added. And we just had the tank pumped out and it did not make a difference.

Where do I start to look to solve the problem of smelling vent gas outside the house at times?
Is there a logical path or list of steps I can check to troubleshoot this problem?
Any pro answers or suggestions to follow a sequence of logical inspections would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

west

Reaction score
Putting a "filter" on the vent pipe might be one solution, however we never had this problem before with this house or previous houses, with sewer lines or septic tanks.

What causes the problem?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks