Septic Connection

Users who are viewing this thread

Reicherb

Reaction score
I'm adding a new barn to our septic tank. It was sized appropriately for inclusion of the barn. There is a 45 just before the tank. I'm planning to remove the 45 and install a wye in it's place. I'm hoping to avoid a coupler. Am I correct that the pipe going into the tank can be pulled out and new one inserted? It looks to just have dirt packed around the pipe at the inlet. Should I use a pipe with a bell into the tank or can I insert a pipe into the wye? Do they even make a street wye that would go into the bell? Pictures of the current setup included.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20201122_141014838.jpg
    IMG_20201122_141014838.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20201122_141001338.jpg
    IMG_20201122_141001338.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 104

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I can't remember how those pipes fit to the tanks, do they have a 90 going down? Maybe?

Anyway, I would have some shield couplings on hand in case you need to "cut in" the way in place.
Just in case.

mission_bandseal.jpg

Reicherb

Reaction score
Those are safe to use? I was worried about making a potential debris collection point. Do I need ones fully covered in metal or will the ones that are just rubber with close clamps safe?

Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The fully rubber ones, the ones our inspectors won't let us use inside a home, can be used in the ground if the pipes are fully supported. Not as good as the ones plumbers use though with the metal wrap to prevent the pipes from shifting off center.

And the metal wrap couplings fit the pipes up better.

Reicherb

Reaction score
So... I've got schedule 40 3" PVC coming out of the barn. I need to adapt it to 3" or 4" DWV. I can't seem to find the correct adapter. Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
So... I've got schedule 40 3" PVC coming out of the barn. I need to adapt it to 3" or 4" DWV. I can't seem to find the correct adapter. Can you point me in the right direction?

What is the OD of the pipe you want to adapt to?

D2729 sewer pipe: OD 4.215 ID 4.056
Schedule 40 4 inch: OD 4.500 ID 4.026
Schedule 40 3 inch: OD 3.500

"DWV" is ambiguous. There are probably even more sizes.

Schedule 40 is a size specification, and not a function specifier. DWV is a function specifier. A lot of DWV pipe is schedule 40.

A digital caliper is a nice tool for measuring OD. Or better yet, look at the markings on the pipe you want to connect to.

Reicherb

Reaction score
So it seems it's all schedule 40. I assumed that since it had a bell on it that it was sewer pipe. It's not.

Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks