Seeking monoflow draining methods

Users who are viewing this thread

Al S

Engineer
Reaction score
I am replacing a monoflow tee and its regular tee. Using a 1 inch x 3/4 inch in place of the 1 inch x 1/2 inch. This is to be used for a fin tube baseboard. When I open the drain valve at the return to the boiler and open the vents, there always remain just enough water to make things difficult to sweat. I know about using a plug of bread. I'm looking for any other advise how to rid the circuit of any remaining water.

Thanks in advance folks,

Al

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is also the tools that are made to plug copper pipe and pull through a fitting after it's been sweat.

Fitter30

Reaction score
It only takes one drop of water to pull heat away from the joint till it boils off. Low point after draining might have to drill a hole in pipe or fitting to drain.

Al S

Engineer
Reaction score
It only takes one drop of water to pull heat away from the joint till it boils off. Low point after draining might have to drill a hole in pipe or fitting to drain.
Drill a hole in pipe and/or fitting that is being removed correct? Certainly you don't mean drilling a hole in a pipe that remains. Please clarify

Al S

Engineer
Reaction score
Yeah I use a compressor and blow it out.
Apply the compressed air to the drain spigot at the boiler for that particular zone? If I'm connecting the compressor to the drain valve, where does the water come out from. The conventional way that I am aware of is open the vents on the heaters and let the water drain. If pressurized, the water is spraying out the vents? Please clarify

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
The only section you need to clear is the part of the piping your working on. Cut the pipe and blow it it with a compressor from the most convenient place you can find. You may need to clear out more piping than you needto work on just to find something to attach to with fittings so that you can hook in the air. There shouldn't be a reason to drain the boiler unless you are below it.

Also if you just wait long enough the water will eventually stop running.

Al S

Engineer
Reaction score
The only section you need to clear is the part of the piping your working on. Cut the pipe and blow it it with a compressor from the most convenient place you can find. You may need to clear out more piping than you needto work on just to find something to attach to with fittings so that you can hook in the air. There shouldn't be a reason to drain the boiler unless you are below it.

Also if you just wait long enough the water will eventually stop running.
I learned today the monoflow branch and the indirect tank are fed from the same supply valve. Looks like I have to shut off water supply valve because I can’t isolate the two branches from one sourcing hot water and the other sourced for heat

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks