seat

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeremytl

Scientist
Reaction score
I know this may be a very elementary question... my toilet seat has loosened and slides across (back and forth) the top of the bowl. I can feel the plastic wing nuts underneath at the rear and on both sides and it seems that they won't tighten down. Do I just need to go buy a new seat?

Also, I noticed gradually over time the actual entire toilet has loosened from the floor and now rocks a little. Whats up with that? Anything I need to do?

Thanks~

Jeremy

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You have two problems. It is likely you can't tighten the seat because the plastic nuts have been over tightened and their threads stripped. Easy to fix. The rocking toilet is a more serious concern. Once a toilet rocks, the wax ring seal is broken and you are in danger of a leak of sewage and/or sewer gas. This problem must be fixed. The concern I have is why the toilet as developed this movement. It may be there has been a leak for sometime and the floor has rotted under the flange. No way to tell for sure until you pull the toilet. Not to be "Gloomy Gus", but you might find a real mess under there and once you open it up, there's no turning back, you will have to fix it 100%. Now it could also be just a rusted out flange bolt which is simple to replace. No matter what you find under there, the wax ring must be replaced. You should be aware that the flange is supposed to set on top of the finished floor and be anchored through the subfloor.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If some part rusted, there has to be leaks, so you'll probably need to do some fixing up. Better now rather than sitting on it and having it fall through the rotted floor while you're sitting on it:D .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks