Sealing a concrete basement floor before tiling

Users who are viewing this thread

jameshorn

Reaction score
:D Well, here goes. Water is seeping up under the vinyl tile from the 40 year old basement concrete floor. Carpet had originally covered this mess. I have had drains installed outside the house, but it has not affected the seepage.

I would like to remove the vinyl tile and clean and seal this concrete floor and then have ceramic tile installed. What is the best way and products to use to clean and seal the floor so that the water does not cause the ceramic tile to separate from the concrete after it is installed?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You have to control the hydrostatic pressure under the house or you'll have problems. Once the thinset cures, it is impervious to the water - it won't cause the tile to pop off, but if it is wet while you try to tile, you may not get a good bond. Water will still seep through the grout and maybe the tile, depending on the type of tile. The drain system that was installed doesn't appear to have solved your problem. You really need to resolve that prior to deciding on a new floor. My unprofessional opinion.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There are some products such as WaterLoc which do a pretty good job of sealing. But nothing will ever stop the hydrostatic pressure you have. Even if the sealer works, the water will find the tiniest cracks and come through. Unless you can lower the water table under the slab, you will be wet.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
dig a sump pit

honestly if you have water comming up
in your basement floor and youi have no
inside drains, yoiu had better install a few
and drain them to the new sump pump pit
you are going to have to dig.

Or at the very least dig a sump pump pit about 30 inches
deep somewhere down there or you will do all this
to no avail....t

try to figure out where the lowest spot on the floor
is and if it is feasable to put one there , start digging.

dril a ton of holes through the pit at from about 10 inches off the
bottom and all the way to the top lid to allow sub surface water
to seep into it and it will do what you want it to do...

keep the basement dry and the new tile from floating away
or moulding away....

its the only sure cure for your situation...

i

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks