Sealer where pipes pass through floor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Eman85

Reaction score
Any suggestions for sealing around pipes where they pass through the floor to a crawl space? Looking to keep cold air and mice from getting in. I have seen mice chew the expanding foam stuff, anything better?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pack steel wool into the voids then foam that in place. Mice hate steel wool.

royalflush001

Reaction score
Similar to steel wool, copper wool is another option that can act as a barrier for mice. It is also resistant to corrosion. Using a high-quality caulk or sealant designed for exterior use can help create a tight seal around the openings. Silicone or polyurethane caulks are good choices for their durability. Also, you can install metal flashing or mesh around the pipe openings. Secure it tightly to the floor to create a physical barrier. Make sure there are no gaps for mice to squeeze through.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Any suggestions for sealing around pipes where they pass through the floor to a crawl space? Looking to keep cold air and mice from getting in. I have seen mice chew the expanding foam stuff, anything better?
Most codes require and fire proof material when going vertical between floors. Great Stuff makes a spray foam that insulates and is fireproof .

Eman85

Reaction score
Most codes require and fire proof material when going vertical between floors. Great Stuff makes a spray foam that insulates and is fireproof .
That's interesting worrying about a fireproof material sealing around a plastic pipe and wood floor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks