Seal Compression Cap?

Users who are viewing this thread

GoDillos

Reaction score
I am removing a sink and trying to cap off the copper supply line. I have easy access to where it branches off, and it uses a compression tee there. I think the cleanest thing would be to just undo it's branch from the compression fitting and put what I've seen called a "compression cap" on the threaded connection there.

I understand that a a normal compression fitting uses the ferrule to seal. But, how do these end caps work when there's no pipe underneath them? Do I need to use tape or dope? Do I put a washer under there?

Thanks

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
cap

They make compression caps that screw onto the tee, but their success rate at not leaking is not very good. Cutting a washer to fit inside may help it seal better.

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
I tried using just the compression caps and they leaked. I cut some rubber discs (used an arch punch) and they sealed quite well.

I do not recommend using pipe sealant on anything but tapered pipe threads.

SaidWhatWhen

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. BTW, for others, the flat washer for 3/8 compression end cap is Size 0 or 17/32" which I bought at Ace Hardware. Danco mfg Stk #35063B.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks