Seal Compression Cap?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by GoDillos, Jan 12, 2008.

1. GoDillos

GoDillos New Member

I am removing a sink and trying to cap off the copper supply line. I have easy access to where it branches off, and it uses a compression tee there. I think the cleanest thing would be to just undo it's branch from the compression fitting and put what I've seen called a "compression cap" on the threaded connection there.

I understand that a a normal compression fitting uses the ferrule to seal. But, how do these end caps work when there's no pipe underneath them? Do I need to use tape or dope? Do I put a washer under there?

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    cap

They make compression caps that screw onto the tee, but their success rate at not leaking is not very good. Cutting a washer to fit inside may help it seal better.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. GoDillos

GoDillos New Member

Thanks, what do you think about putting some pipe dope on there too?

5. Furd

Furd Engineer

Retired energy systems engineer
    I tried using just the compression caps and they leaked. I cut some rubber discs (used an arch punch) and they sealed quite well.

I do not recommend using pipe sealant on anything but tapered pipe threads.

6. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Service Plumber
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2020
  7. SaidWhatWhen

SaidWhatWhen New Member

Thanks Terry. BTW, for others, the flat washer for 3/8 compression end cap is Size 0 or 17/32" which I bought at Ace Hardware. Danco mfg Stk #35063B.