Sandpoint well problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike Nottingham

Reaction score
Hello everyone, hopefully someone can help me out here ive been struggling with this for a while. I have a shallow sandpoint well, we recently moved but are going to try to put the place up for sale. Since no one is living there we aren't running much water. the pump ended up going bad a few weeks ago so i replaced it with a new one but couldn't get it to pump water. I pulled the casing and replaced the sandpoint filter, couplers and unions along with the check valve and it worked well until it sat again. Once i messed with it for a while i would be able to get it to draw water again but somethings still not right, i should be able to turn it on and be good to go. Today i tried it out again with no luck until i drained the holding tank, then the well pumped up on its own with ease. But once again if it sits for a day or two i have to restart the process. I thought at first somehow there's air getting in the system somehow but i double checked every fitting and taped the threads well before installing for the third time. What i'm guessing or thinking is the pressure in the holding tank is greater than what the pump is actually pumping which isn't allowing the pump to draw water until the pressure is lower. Is this correct or does anyone know how to fix this issue? Any help or advice is much appreciated.

well Guy

Reaction score
Hello everyone, hopefully someone can help me out here ive been struggling with this for a while. I have a shallow sandpoint well, we recently moved but are going to try to put the place up for sale. Since no one is living there we aren't running much water. the pump ended up going bad a few weeks ago so i replaced it with a new one but couldn't get it to pump water. I pulled the casing and replaced the sandpoint filter, couplers and unions along with the check valve and it worked well until it sat again. Once i messed with it for a while i would be able to get it to draw water again but somethings still not right, i should be able to turn it on and be good to go. Today i tried it out again with no luck until i drained the holding tank, then the well pumped up on its own with ease. But once again if it sits for a day or two i have to restart the process. I thought at first somehow there's air getting in the system somehow but i double checked every fitting and taped the threads well before installing for the third time. What i'm guessing or thinking is the pressure in the holding tank is greater than what the pump is actually pumping which isn't allowing the pump to draw water until the pressure is lower. Is this correct or does anyone know how to fix this issue? Any help or advice is much appreciated.

It sounds like to me that you have a one way valve at the bottom of your pipe and the water is going back down the well and then you have to recharge your pump, I know sand point are just pound in and forget and then pound in again but you probley have a pvc pipe, and lowered the sandpoint and hung it inside your pip or it was drill then pipe lowered anyway you are losing charge back down the well and the one way valve has gone out on you

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
My guess is the check valve is at the top of the sand point where it should be. However, you have a suction leak in the casing below the check valve. When it sits for a while the water below the check valve leaks back, and you lose prime when the pump comes on. Probably a leak at one of the upper drive couplings in the casing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks