Rusty water returns

Users who are viewing this thread

Rman

Master mechanic
Reaction score
I have a 78 foot well 20gpm drilled 1986 pump set at 50 ft 10 gpm
Have had iron in water always but 1.5 yrs after installing a 10micron prefilter then a 56 inch Katalax filter then a 27000 grain water softener my rusty tasting water has returned. Raw water at tank brown for about 5 minutes then almost clear. The Katalox is set to regen every 3 days. I change prefilter every 3 months and it is brown/orange color. Should I set the katalox for every 2 days regen? I don't understand how rusty water can clean the kataox filter. The water softener is working by useage of salt. Impossible to redrill or drill another well I'm waterfront no access due to too small property. What do I do next? Thanks Rman

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Post this in the water softener forum, I don't check the other forums often enough so I miss most of the water questions that show up over here.

Bannerman

Reaction score
a 10micron prefilter then a 56 inch Katalax filter then a 27000 grain water softener
You will need to post your water's lab analysis results.

What diameter is the Katalox filter? Stating the diameter will help to clarify the amount of media contained.

What is the Katalox filter's backwash rate?

A 27K softener is not a standard size. Water Hardness? Number of occupants?

What control valves are used on both the softener and filter?

Size of the pre-filter? How clogged does the filter become as that maybe restricting flow, thereby preventing the Katalox filter from back washing properly.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
When you say rusty water at your tank, how do you mean?

What is the layout of your system? Are you using a pressure tank or atmospheric? KL works great in many applications but not always. When you say "how can rusty water clean the katalox.." are you referring to the water used for backwash being raw/untreated water? If so then you can use a separate source backwash but this is usually done with an atmospheric tank design. We need a little more information, can you post some pictures?

Rman

Master mechanic
Reaction score

What is the layout of your system? Are you using a pressure tank or atmospheric? KL works great in many applications but not always. When you say "how can rusty water clean the katalox.." are you referring to the water used for backwash being raw/untreated water? If so then you can use a separate source backwash but this is usually done with an atmospheric tank design. We need a little more information, can you post some pictures?

Rman

Master mechanic
Reaction score

The water is at the hose bib on the pressure tank where I hook up garden hose to flush well water. The pre filter is a big blue 20 1 inch. Then it goes to a Katalox 54 inch tall x 10 inch tank with Fleck digital control set for every 3rd day flush for 30 minutes. Then to a whirlpool water softener that regenerate on useage. Water is now not hard. The water at the sink is clear but has a metal taste sometimes a little salty. Is it possible to flush the well directly at the well head with a product to clean out the rust/iron?
Thanks Rman

Reach4

Reaction score
The water is at the hose bib on the pressure tank where I hook up garden hose to flush well water.
That drain at the bottom of the pressure tank is for draining out sediment from the pressure tank. It is before any filtering.

I think sanitizing the well and plumbing can kill off IRB -- at least for a while, and maybe a long while if you do a good job.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks