Fleck 5600sxt salty service water and manganese filter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dvid

Reaction score
Summary: Service water is salty, leaves desposits, corrodes. Wanting to know if I need to fix / adjust the system or need to install a Manganese prefilter to help.

Details: We have a well and water softener system and have had our water tested a few times. We know it is high in Manganese and the brine tank tends to turn cloudy and brown despite cleaning it every year. We also remove and clean the build up on the mesh screen filter and white nozzles on the Fleck SXT5600 every year or so. We do use res care to clean the resin. The softener does seem to take care of the Manganese and the water is soft, but we have salty service water leaving deposits on our fixtures and glasses in the dishwasher taste a bit salty. I read somewhere it can be due to the softener combating the Manganese.

It's a pain to keep cleaning the brine tank and filters and the salt takes toll on our fixtures. We are interested in a solution.

Is there something like adjusting the rinse cycle, brine draw settings, cleaning additional parts we can do?

Is there an affordable prefilter that will take care of manganese? We don't need a system that strips everything out of the water because the other levels are fine.

Thank you so much. Ready for this problem to be gone.

Bannerman

Reaction score
We will need additional info.

Softener's Total capacity (ex: 36,000 grains) or the dimensions of the media tank? (ex: 10" diameter X 54")
Details of the current program settings?
Which BLFC, DLFC flow restrictors and Injector are installed? This info is usually specified on label(s) located nearby to the brine line connection.
Are you able to post a current lab test report for your raw well water? This info should specify the various quantities of minerals and metals, pH and the total hardness level.
Usual water consumption amount or if unknown, number of residents within the home so as to estimate water consumption.

Dvid

Reaction score
We will need additional info.

Softener's Total capacity (ex: 36,000 grains) or the dimensions of the media tank? (ex: 10" diameter X 54")
Details of the current program settings?
Which BLFC, DLFC flow restrictors and Injector are installed? This info is usually specified on label(s) located nearby to the brine line connection.
Are you able to post a current lab test report for your raw well water? This info should specify the various quantities of minerals and metals, pH and the total hardness level.
Usual water consumption amount or if unknown, number of residents within the home so as to estimate water consumption.
Thanks. Gathered as much info as I could.

When we originally moved in it was three of us. Now it's two. Our college son moved out so a lot less long showers and laundry. So I'm sure it needs tweaking. It can go several days (more like a week +) without regenerating. These settings were provided to me and every water tech that's ever come by has has a different opinion, some to make more efficient, some to save salt, etc. So if the settings are way off, please don't "shoot the messenger." I'm not a water tech.

Current settings:
DF GAL
VT df1b
CT Fd
NT ---1
C 24
H22
RS rc
RC 0
DO 14
RT 2:00
BW 10
BD 60
RR 10
BF 8
FM P0.7

48K Grains.
Fleck 5600SXT

Under the controller is a black label that says
.50 GPM
1.5 LB
SALT/MIN

Then on the back on a white label it says
INJECTOR 1
DRAIN FLOW: 2.0 GPM

Attaching the last water samples I have from 2020. I know that's too old, I'm in the process of running them again right now. I ran a basic test strip the other day just to get a ballpark idea and the softening looked fine.

Can't thank you enough. Appreciate it.

Attachments

• SystemPhoto.jpg
    SystemPhoto.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Water-Report-Inside-Softened-01-2020.pdf
    32.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Water-Report-NationalLabsTest-01-2020.pdf
    588.3 KB · Views: 77
  • Water-Report-Unsoftened-01-2020.pdf
    53.7 KB · Views: 88

Reach4

Reaction score
With a 10x54 inch tank, which I presume you have, the main thing I would change is to increase the C to as much as 36, and at least to 33.

IMO, your #1 Injector - White is oversized. I would prefer either #00 Injector - Violet
or #0 Injector - Red.

When your softened water dries, it is normal that there be a salt residue, but that wipes off with a damp cloth.

I would program the reserve differently.
RS=rc
RC=120 (gallons of reserve)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks