Rust in well water

Users who are viewing this thread

loop1

Reaction score
I have a shallow (65 feet) well whose water is loaded with very fine reddish particulates that I assume is iron oxide. No silt, no bad odors, just this gunk. It is very fine--I have a 4.5 x 10 inch filter rated at 1 micron in the system and even with a new filter I sometimes get a small amount of rust in the water. The filter loads up with this material in just a few months of usage by 2 people. I do not want a major system to deal with this problem, so I will be changing filters fairly often. My question is--which type of filter is best for this problem--pleated, wound polypropene, etc. Also, some pleated filters claim you can wash them out and reuse. Is this true?

Reach4

Reaction score
My question is--which type of filter is best for this problem--pleated, wound polypropene, etc. Also, some pleated filters claim you can wash them out and reuse. Is this true?
There are certainly reusable/washable pleated filters. I was thinking of buying one for my next well sanitizing, for the recirculating water.

In my two sanitizings I have recirculated through a Pentek DGD-5005-20 cartridge that I had previously had in service for over a year. I am thinking that maybe a coarser washable pleated filter could match that job better with less backpressure. My current cartridge filters are overkill. I ordered the housings before I decided to put in my front line backwashing filter, so there is little left for the cartridges to catch.

I think my latest sanitizing was 2016 spring. It seems to have lasted for a good while.

Are the Pentek DGD filters better than, or as good as, a good pleated filter? I don't know. You ask a good question.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks