Rural pump help needed

Users who are viewing this thread

Michael1968

Reaction score
Hey guys

Hello, and thanks for taking the time to
Read my question.

I’m at wits end with a plumbing problem at our 3 season cottage.
I draw water from a shorewell that feeds a piston pump in the basement, via a buried and heated 1 1/2” line, with a foot valve on the well side, and finally a pressure tank, then the usual big blue filters/UV light set up. The rise is maybe 10 feet and the run is roughly 80 feet.

for the past 4 or 5 years, I have winterized the cottage, and when priming the pump and suction line the following Spring, it would prime relatively easy and hold its prime all year.

this year the suction side would hold water when I primed it, but I would only get a trickle out of the discharge side? I only ran the pump briefly so it wouldn’t overheat.

Initially I run the discharge side of the pump to a hose that drains into a sink and flush all the antifreeze and any dirt, etc that might be in the line and when the fresh water had flushed its way through I would hook up the filters and UV light then continue on purging air out of the lines leading to the fixtures.

I can’t understand how the suction line can be full and keep its prime but not get any volume from the pump?

Could it be the water levels have dropped enough to partially uncover the foot valve? Or perhaps a small mouse or other critter has found it’s way into the suction line? And is causing enough of a blockage to limit the flow but not totally restrict it?

my next door neighbour lives their year round, and draws from the same well and has all kinds of water.

Any input would really be appreciated! I’m kinda stumped here and really need to shower (-:

PS: It’s a small cottage on a large island, which requires a ferry to access, so plumbers from the mainland are reluctant to “waste a day”
For a small job, and deal with the headaches of the ferry, if I could fix it myself it would be a lot easier.

Reach4

Reaction score
How about a photo of the pump? I am wondering if it is a jet pump rather than a piston pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks