Running wire to shed - questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hey all. Need some advice. Running wire from basement panel about 45-ish feet inside and 65-ish feet underground (outside) to my shed. I measured using a string, so it should be no more than 114' in total (and that is allowing for about 10% overage -- and I draped the string to have at least 2 feet extra at each end). Need at least 40 AMP circuit, but 50 AMP might be nice too. For a 40AMP circuit, according to voltage calculations I need #8 copper wire, for the 50 AMP circuit, #6 copper wire.

Should I:
A) Just buy one 115' (really 125') length of UF-B wire
B) Buy a combo of 50' Romex (aka NM-B) and 75' of UF-B
C) Run 4 separate THWN-2 wires trough conduit
D) Something else

The A or B don't require conduit, but C would. In either case, I would need to rent a trencher, so that cost is not really an issue. Likely ,I'll just dig the whole thing to 24" deep since I'll have the trencher.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Reach4

Reaction score
No one has any advice?
f5fdd4e22881bc90b71f406355baeabe.jpg

Not even one day has passed.

How do you plan to get from the basement to underground? Up and out, avoiding potential leaks, or drill through the basement wall? You need conduit for the up and back down (my preference) , and maybe for through the wall. I am not an electrician.

Last edited by a moderator:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
The type of underground wiring usually is determined by the ground type, distance, elevation, dept of cable or conduit. As Reach stated when any electrical wires goes vertical from the underground it must be in metallic conduit or 80 schedule PVC electrical conduit. In GA your probably on a slab.
Since you are the homeowner do pull a electrical permit for your protection. After inspection there be no problems with any claims from your insurance company and if you ever decide to sell the home, there be no issues from a non qualified home inspector.

Going PVC conduit is usually the easiest and offers good protection. At about 110 ft or more you want to rent a trencher and go down 24 inches from the grade to the top of the conduit. A 1" PVC would be plenty of room for ever wanting to add an additional circuit and using THWN also makes it easy. As a hint, as you glue the PVC together run a pull string or the wire throught each section of pipe before gluing the next piece. While you're at it also drop in a 1/2 PVC electrical conduit for any future low voltage wiring such as for security cameras, alarms, etc. PVC is fairly cheap.

Reaction score
Not even one day has passed.

How do you plan to get from the basement to underground? Up and out, avoiding potential leaks, or drill through the basement wall? You need conduit for the up and back down (my preference) , and maybe for through the wall. I am not an electrician.
Sorry...usually folks are fast around here. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
The type of underground wiring usually is determined by the ground type, distance, elevation, dept of cable or conduit. As Reach stated when any electrical wires goes vertical from the underground it must be in metallic conduit or 80 schedule PVC electrical conduit. In GA your probably on a slab.
Since you are the homeowner do pull a electrical permit for your protection. After inspection there be no problems with any claims from your insurance company and if you ever decide to sell the home, there be no issues from a non qualified home inspector.

Going PVC conduit is usually the easiest and offers good protection. At about 110 ft or more you want to rent a trencher and go down 24 inches from the grade to the top of the conduit. A 1" PVC would be plenty of room for ever wanting to add an additional circuit and using THWN also makes it easy. As a hint, as you glue the PVC together run a pull string or the wire throught each section of pipe before gluing the next piece. While you're at it also drop in a 1/2 PVC electrical conduit for any future low voltage wiring such as for security cameras, alarms, etc. PVC is fairly cheap.
Got the permit covered. I am on a basement, so getting from the basement to outside is very easy. I already have the Schedule 80 PVC for getting from above grade to below grade (and back). Mainly was wondering about the wire. If I were to run #6 THWN-2 wire, would a #10 ground work? It seems to be adequate from the charts, but wanted some additional insight if anyone has it. Also, is THWN/THHN that much easier to work with than UF??

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
All wires must be the same gauge. UF is very tough. The sheath takes a very sharp knife to strip it back and not to cut any insulation of the wires. THWN is always easier and conduit. If a wire ever burns or to add a circuit, conduit is always simpler. With UF you would have to retrench. UF is good stuff but I prefer it for short runs.

Reaction score

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
Yes #10 will work for ground up to #6 conductors. What will be your power needs for the shed? An ARC welder? Are you installing 220? Are you planning to install a circuit panel in the shed? #6 is really a hefty piece of wire.

Reaction score
Yes #10 will work for ground up to #6 conductors. What will be your power needs for the shed? An ARC welder? Are you installing 220? Are you planning to install a circuit panel in the shed? #6 is really a hefty piece of wire.
It's mainly due to distance and voltage drop. Just running a 50 to 60AMP subpanel to the shed. Then I can put in outlets, lights, etc and if needed, add a welder or a (small) A/C unit.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If you look around you might find a place that rents the tool for making holes in the box. If you have clearance inside and out, you can use a step bit.

If your conduit is bigger than what is required, you can come through the wall into a properly sized junction box and back out in a appropriately-sized smaller conduit to the panel.

Reach4

Reaction score
Maybe a pull elbow/fitting/conduit body and a 1-1/2 in. Reducer Bushing (reducing bushing)?
carlon-conduit-fittings-e987h-car-64_145.jpg
carlon-conduit-fittings-e985h-car-64_145.jpg
conduit-fittings-r5142223-64_145.jpg

Reaction score
Thanks all. I figured it out. I looked a little closer at my main panel and noticed that there are what I would call "regular" sized knock-outs (for 3/4" connectors), but there were also a few stepped knock-outs that can do 1/1.25/1.5/2 inch connections. So I used and "LB," a male adapter and a bushing. Worked like a charm.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks