Running line for hose Bibb off well main

Users who are viewing this thread

Thomas D

Reaction score
I need to run a line from well main (to house) for a hose Bibb. The line will originate about 5 ft from well on main. The new line will be approx 200 ft.
The well main is 1 1/4 inch pvc.
Is it ok to come off the main with
1 1/4 inch and go all the way with it or would 1 inch be ok?

Lastly, would any type of backflow prevention be needed?

Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
I think when you say "main" 4 times, you are referring to the pipe from the well to the house. You plan to tap into the "main" down below the frost line.

I think you are wanting to put a frostproof yard hydrant 200 feet from the well but not near the house.

Right so far?

It should be fine to run 1 inch or 3/4 inch pipe to the hydrant.

Thomas D

Reaction score
I think when you say "main" 4 times, you are referring to the pipe from the well to the house. You plan to tap into the "main" down below the frost line.

I think you are wanting to put a frostproof yard hydrant 200 feet from the well but not near the house.

Right so far?

It should be fine to run 1 inch or 3/4 inch pipe to the hydrant.

Thanks for your reply.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You can tee off the main line as many time as you want. Just make sure there are no check valves in the line going to the pressure tank. That way water can come back from the tank to the new tee off until the pump is started.

Longer the line the larger size it should be. Give us the GPM you plan to use from that line and we can tell you the friction loss and which size pipe to use.

Thomas D

Reaction score
You can tee off the main line as many time as you want. Just make sure there are no check valves in the line going to the pressure tank. That way water can come back from the tank to the new tee off until the pump is started.

Longer the line the larger size it should be. Give us the GPM you plan to use from that line and we can tell you the friction loss and which size pipe to use.

Thank you.
All I plan to run at this time is the yard hydrant.
I was wondering about putting a shut off valve several feet after the T to guard against any accidental pipe breaks in the 200 ft run. There is already a shut off at the well on the main line.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks