Rules for direct venting

Users who are viewing this thread

StuckInConnecticut

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have a simple (maybe) question about direct venting (i think that's the correct term anyway). I'm renovating a very old house and putting a bathroom on the second floor (the current second floor bathroom is a disaster, uphill drains, no vents, etc, etc and is being demolished).... my plan is to run a completely new 3" line/stack from the second floor right down into the basement (and venting directly out the roof). The planned design has the toilet and shower within a few feet (or less) of the new main stack.... can I just run my drain lines from the toilet and shower directly to the stack without additional venting? assuming I maintain the proper 1/4"/foot and use the right fittings, I believe the stack would be an appropriate vent since it is very close to both fixtures also, the stack *does not serve as a vent for anything on the first floor* (i already know this is against code... and dumb). The bathroom sink will also use this stack as a drain, but will have a separate vent that connects to the main vent stack in the attic. any help would be greatly appreciated!! and I apologize in advance if i misused some terms, thanks!

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have a simple (maybe) question about direct venting (i think that's the correct term anyway). I'm renovating a very old house and putting a bathroom on the second floor (the current second floor bathroom is a disaster, uphill drains, no vents, etc, etc and is being demolished).... my plan is to run a completely new 3" line/stack from the second floor right down into the basement (and venting directly out the roof). The planned design has the toilet and shower within a few feet (or less) of the new main stack.... can I just run my drain lines from the toilet and shower directly to the stack without additional venting? assuming I maintain the proper 1/4"/foot and use the right fittings, I believe the stack would be an appropriate vent since it is very close to both fixtures also, the stack *does not serve as a vent for anything on the first floor* (i already know this is against code... and dumb). The bathroom sink will also use this stack as a drain, but will have a separate vent that connects to the main vent stack in the attic. any help would be greatly appreciated!! and I apologize in advance if i misused some terms, thanks!
Is there a bathroom below... if so then no, if not then there is a way

dwv_b2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

StuckInConnecticut

Reaction score
Is there a bathroom below... if so then no, if not then there is a way
no bathroom below (on the same line), there is a first floor bathroom, but it it vented completely separately and only will share the same sewer line out to the tank (same as the kitchen)