Rules for direct venting

Users who are viewing this thread

StuckInConnecticut

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have a simple (maybe) question about direct venting (i think that's the correct term anyway). I'm renovating a very old house and putting a bathroom on the second floor (the current second floor bathroom is a disaster, uphill drains, no vents, etc, etc and is being demolished).... my plan is to run a completely new 3" line/stack from the second floor right down into the basement (and venting directly out the roof). The planned design has the toilet and shower within a few feet (or less) of the new main stack.... can I just run my drain lines from the toilet and shower directly to the stack without additional venting? assuming I maintain the proper 1/4"/foot and use the right fittings, I believe the stack would be an appropriate vent since it is very close to both fixtures also, the stack *does not serve as a vent for anything on the first floor* (i already know this is against code... and dumb). The bathroom sink will also use this stack as a drain, but will have a separate vent that connects to the main vent stack in the attic. any help would be greatly appreciated!! and I apologize in advance if i misused some terms, thanks!

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have a simple (maybe) question about direct venting (i think that's the correct term anyway). I'm renovating a very old house and putting a bathroom on the second floor (the current second floor bathroom is a disaster, uphill drains, no vents, etc, etc and is being demolished).... my plan is to run a completely new 3" line/stack from the second floor right down into the basement (and venting directly out the roof). The planned design has the toilet and shower within a few feet (or less) of the new main stack.... can I just run my drain lines from the toilet and shower directly to the stack without additional venting? assuming I maintain the proper 1/4"/foot and use the right fittings, I believe the stack would be an appropriate vent since it is very close to both fixtures also, the stack *does not serve as a vent for anything on the first floor* (i already know this is against code... and dumb). The bathroom sink will also use this stack as a drain, but will have a separate vent that connects to the main vent stack in the attic. any help would be greatly appreciated!! and I apologize in advance if i misused some terms, thanks!
Is there a bathroom below... if so then no, if not then there is a way

dwv_b2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

StuckInConnecticut

Reaction score
Is there a bathroom below... if so then no, if not then there is a way
no bathroom below (on the same line), there is a first floor bathroom, but it it vented completely separately and only will share the same sewer line out to the tank (same as the kitchen)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks