Rubber Flakes in Hot Water (Inner Tank Construction)

Users who are viewing this thread

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Ok..... you have a fun one to figure out... if I were the plumber who changed out the heater and was in the middle of this mess I know EXACTLY what I would do to determine if it is the water heater or something else going on.

On the cold line going into the heater install a sand filter with a clear plastic body that you can see through...
the water will have to pass through this filter before going into the heater and it seems the best way to determine
if it is the incomming water or something to do with the heater itself.......

all water heaters and joints inside the heater are welded together then sprayed inside with glass enamel . This enamel is then it is baked onto the metal in a extremely hot kiln to make the enamel turn into a glass lining inside the heater......there is no place for rubber to flake off...

get a filter put on the cold inlet to the heater and see what happens............

AdobeStock_158846275.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
the only way for ruber to come out of the heater is for rubber to go in to the heater. I dont see that rubber could have been in 2 tanks at the same house and no one else has this problem. And I dont belive that a water heater has rubber caulk in it. The glass lining would burn that out , plus Its just not part of how a tank is made. I suppose a batch could get contaminated like ones made on the same day but not years aprt

JGV1

Reaction score
Just had my WaterBoss water softener 10 years old replaced with a WaterCare water softener system. When running the washing machine
120386797_2803525316533905_2542684986269440767_n.jpg
120454666_709480819921573_146504888588287733_n.jpg
on warm and or hot options, there are these little black material of different sizes showing. Cold water wash these do not appear. (Well Water with pump in home)
Company that installed the new WaterCare brand system came back and said it is the hoses from the clothes washer? Not sure if I am buying this? Did not have this issue ever with the WaterBoss water softener system. Suggestions appreciated. Thank you

Reach4

Reaction score
Not sure if I am buying this? Did not have this issue ever with the WaterBoss water softener system. Suggestions appreciated.
How would a water softener impart particles into the hot water and not the cold water?

Check your aerator screens in bath and kitchen for black particles. If none, then the WM hot hose seems like a good suspect. Or you sent something through the wash.

Are your supply lines for the WH braided-looking? Those braids cover a rubber tube.

Run a few gallons of water, via a hose, from the WH drain into a light-colored bucket. Particles?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
jgv1 read through all the other posts , and handyman 38 did you solve issue you picked our brains then havent heard if solved. it helps us all by sharing solution. Ive got nothing to add right now good luck to both of you!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
A new water softener is working 100% and it may have dissolved this material coating the pipes or washer hose. Something in the water is reacting when heated and over the years it lined the pipes and heater. The old softener probably was degrading over the years so more minerals was able to pass through. Only a thought and I would change the washer hoses anyway. They do degrade over time and are fairly inexpensive compared to a damage a burst hose could do.

You could switch the two washer hoses and see if this material comes through on a cold wash. Use old towels and rags to test.

JGV1

Reaction score
A new water softener is working 100% and it may have dissolved this material coating the pipes or washer hose. Something in the water is reacting when heated and over the years it lined the pipes and heater. The old softener probably was degrading over the years so more minerals was able to pass through. Only a thought and I would change the washer hoses anyway. They do degrade over time and are fairly inexpensive compared to a damage a burst hose could do.

You could switch the two washer hoses and see if this material comes through on a cold wash. Use old towels and rags to test.

Thanks, this is what I was told. The new water softener is cleaning up the hot water pipes from where the older as it aged left behind?

JGV1

Reaction score

Good idea on the latter, to switch the water lines to see. As it is set up previously this happened, cold water no black particles in the washer. Thank you

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks