Routing toilet drain around a joist challange

Users who are viewing this thread

Cengiz Tanc

Reaction score
I want to connect my toilet drain to the waste stack, but there is a joist in the way, preventing a standard sloped horizontal run to a sanitary T down in to the stack. In order to keep ceiling height below at a maximum, I want to route the pipe between the joists as near to waste stack as possible, then turn vertical down. As far as I can tell I have two choices to go from horizontal to vertical:

1. A long sweep elbow, turned 45 deg. down to nominally vertical, then a short lenght of pipe in to a Wye fitting. The total length from flange to wye would be 4-6 feet. (Please picture #1 and 2 with a mock-up example)

2. A long sweep elbow angled 90 deg to vertical, a 45deg elbow to offset horizontally to the waste stack and connect with a wye again. (Please picture 3 with a mock-up example).

Picture1.JPG
Picture2.JPG
Picture3.JPG
).

Are any of these up to Ontario code?

My other option is to install a wall-hung toilet which would allow me to run the pipe between the same joists as where the waste stack is located, for a standard install.

thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't think there is an Ontario consideration. I think what you want to do is OK anywhere.

A toilet has its own trap built in. There is no need for a horizontal section. I am not a plumber.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks