Routing toilet drain around a joist challange

Discussion in 'Canadian Plumbing Code Questions' started by Cengiz Tanc, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Cengiz Tanc

Cengiz Tanc New Member

I want to connect my toilet drain to the waste stack, but there is a joist in the way, preventing a standard sloped horizontal run to a sanitary T down in to the stack. In order to keep ceiling height below at a maximum, I want to route the pipe between the joists as near to waste stack as possible, then turn vertical down. As far as I can tell I have two choices to go from horizontal to vertical:

1. A long sweep elbow, turned 45 deg. down to nominally vertical, then a short lenght of pipe in to a Wye fitting. The total length from flange to wye would be 4-6 feet. (Please picture #1 and 2 with a mock-up example)

2. A long sweep elbow angled 90 deg to vertical, a 45deg elbow to offset horizontally to the waste stack and connect with a wye again. (Please picture 3 with a mock-up example).

Picture1.JPG Picture2.JPG Picture3.JPG ).

Are any of these up to Ontario code?

My other option is to install a wall-hung toilet which would allow me to run the pipe between the same joists as where the waste stack is located, for a standard install.

thanks

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I don't think there is an Ontario consideration. I think what you want to do is OK anywhere.

A toilet has its own trap built in. There is no need for a horizontal section. I am not a plumber.

Cengiz Tanc likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

Cengiz Tanc likes this.