rotten rubber fernco what could cause this?

Users who are viewing this thread

titanif

Reaction score
hello, i own a rental property and my tenant told me there was a leak under his tub. when i crawled in the crawl space a fernco fitting had completly disappeared. the two metal ring clamps on each side and the rubber beneath those clamps was all that was left. all the rubber that was supposed to connect the abs to the cast pipe was gone. ive never seen this and i am just wondering what could cause this? is it acid in the pipe? rodents? or is this something that can happen with time? any input would be appreciated.

thanks

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
That sounds like a rubber coupling that doesn't meet code. The rubber could have rotted, but doesn't sound likely. I think its more likely what Breplum is thinking, food for rodents.

1696602136486.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks