Rotten cast iron drain pipe, no trap and a drain to nowhere!

Users who are viewing this thread

sibanez

Reaction score
We are looking to buy a house in an area known for failed house-to-sewer lines due to soil/tree factors. During the home inspection, I hired a plumber to check the main line with a camera and evaluate the plumbing. A few things came up that are cause for concern:

1) He cannot run the camera because their isn't a trap and access is very limited. We need to get the homeowner's permission to pull the toilet and that has yet to happen. Question: Is it normal not to have a trap?

2) A ten-foot section of cast iron was replaced, but the plumber I hired said that the bands were not correct.

3) They left the rotten cast iron in the crawl space and it looks awful. Plumber also said the pipe was lying too flat, which is why it rotted. He also suspects that the main line is a mess due to the slow drain.

4) Parts of the other cast iron behind the new PVC are leaking as well. His recommendation is to replace it all before we purchase the house.

5) Surprise! The drain for the washer and sink ran through the foundation. He said it is very odd, and that he doubts they meet up in/under the yard. Again, he'd need to remove stuff to run the camera and we need the owner's permission.

So, before I throw another $1,000 into inspections for the plumbing, I'm looking for feedback. The house is at the top-end of our price range, and the lack of confidence in the plumbing is a big issue. Is the plumber being overly cautious? I trust the company, and he didn't even charge for me spending an hour at the house.

Thanks!

IMG_20180921_142852.jpg

MKS

Reaction score
You pay the money and take your chances.
How bad do you want it.
It is an economics decision.
The study of decision making.

sibanez

Reaction score
what are you asking if you already got advice. just say it has to be fixed before you buy.

I guess I didn't really ask a question. I've usually lived in new homes, so plumbing from 1920s is really new to me.

Is this 'normal' for houses of this age and is there a high-cost involved with maintaining the system. The plumber I spoke with deals mostly with old houses and said he needs to dig more (literally). Before I drop another $1,500 on him investigating the issue, I'm just trying to understand if these are typical issues.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Given the age, you need to budget for replacement of the plumbing, either as a term of the sale or you eat it afterward. I would look hard at the electrical too.

Reach4

Reaction score
If it is a condition of the sale, expect the work to be done as cheaply as possible. Of course if you get a discount and have it done yourself, you still might get it done as cheaply as possible. More likely you just pocket the money and wait for a symptom.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks