Roots

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by piilani56, Sep 18, 2005.

1. piilani56

piilani56 New Member

I have roots coming out between my tile floor and the back lower edge of my toilet? What do I need to do? Thanks...Patti

2. Dunbar Plumbing

Dunbar Plumbing Master Plumber

Service Plumber, Outdoor Temperature Relief Owner
    Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
    First, remove the toilet and see if the roots are originating from inside the piping or not. Roots seek moisture, and a leaking wax ring is a source of it. Let us know which way it is; there are numerous ways to control root growth in your situation.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. hj

hj Master Plumber

Plumber
    Remove the toilet, cut the roots away, and also dig the ones out of the floor between the concrete and the pipe if you can get to them. Then make a solution of water and a pound of salt, or copper sulfate crystals, and pour it down into the gap around the pipe. It will deter them for a long time, but eventually they will return. I have had customers with two toilets back to back and it would happen to one of them, and then 6 months later to the other one, and 6 months after that back to the first one. You will also find a tendril going into the pipe opening. Pull that out along with any root mass which has grown inside the pipe.