Return Duct Takeoffs

Users who are viewing this thread

Gregory Morris

Reaction score
I'm in the process of installing return ductwork for a new heat pump installation. I fully understand the reasoning behind keeping supply takeoffs 18"-24" from an end cap to allow the duct to pressurize and ensure even airflow at the takeoffs further upstream.

My question is simply, does this rule of thumb also apply to return takeoffs in individual room return systems? I can't imagine that it would, but I've found remarkably little discussing this.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
For returns it's the square inches of the return grills and duct work. Too much restriction and there be poor air flow over the A/C coils or phelmun. Google "sizing return air duct" and there is plenty of information out there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks