Resideo (Honeywell) L8148E burned

Users who are viewing this thread

Franco_D

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm new to the forum. Hello from downstate New York!

I had an unusual issue with a Resideo L8148E1257 AquaStat and would appreciate some input.

Tenant called with a no-heat complaint. I went over to find the L8148E1257 AquaStat circuit board burned where the 120v AC connections are. Circuit breaker on the house panel was blown and would not reset, indicating a short circuit.

My first thought was the circulator motor had shorted, burning out the board. I connected the Taco-007 pump directly to the AC supply, and it ran fine. The only other loads on the control box are a 24v gas valve, which operates normally, and a Crown 24v vent damper, which works and is original to the Crown boiler. There are no zone valves. The Crown boiler and associated parts are approx. 15 years old.

I replaced the L8148E with a new unit, and the system is running fine. My concern is that the problem will recur, since I did not find a cause.

At the shop, I opened the burned unit and tested some components. Transformer is fine and shows 28v AC at the secondary (no load) when 120v is applied to primary. Applying 24v to the relay will close it as normal. I looked carefully and did not find any wiring faults in the installation.

Pics are attached, note the damage mainly around the C1 terminal.

Would an unusual load from the circulator pump cause this type of damage? Have you heard of this happening before? Do you have any other input or suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_5643.jpg
    IMG_5643.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_5644.jpg
    IMG_5644.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 112

Fitter30

Reaction score
Terminal that burnt is feeding the pump full load is 7.4 amps. Since it burned at the terminal instead of the relay contacts probably a loose connection. Might want to fuse the the pump or use a amp meter and watch the draw.

Franco_D

Reaction score
Terminal that burnt is feeding the pump full load is 7.4 amps. Since it burned at the terminal instead of the relay contacts probably a loose connection. Might want to fuse the the pump or use a amp meter and watch the draw.
Thanks for your response!

Good to know the current spec for the 007. I didn't have any other bright ideas between my post and your response, so I went ahead and replaced the pump. I also made a new whip to connect it to the control box, even though the old one looked fine.

The control box is in a difficult spot access-wise, being blocked by the water heater. I had to bend my back sideways to hook it up, and use a mirror to check the connections. It's difficult to get #12 wire under those screws, so it is possible that the original installer did not see a potential problem.

Interesting idea to fuse the pump though. How would you do that? I'm thinking a 3AG type slo-blo with wire leads and insulated tubing over it would be easy to connect inside the capacitor box (pic attached). In any case, a new pump in a 15 y/o system is not the worst thing... If it prevents a no-heat call in the middle of the night (I'm the landlord) and/or replacing another $300 control box. I'm good!

Thanks again for your suggestions!

Attachments

• 3AG fuses.jpg
    3AG fuses.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_5653.jpg
    IMG_5653.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 87

Fitter30

Reaction score
Thanks for your response!

Good to know the current spec for the 007. I didn't have any other bright ideas between my post and your response, so I went ahead and replaced the pump. I also made a new whip to connect it to the control box, even though the old one looked fine.

The control box is in a difficult spot access-wise, being blocked by the water heater. I had to bend my back sideways to hook it up, and use a mirror to check the connections. It's difficult to get #12 wire under those screws, so it is possible that the original installer did not see a potential problem.

Interesting idea to fuse the pump though. How would you do that? I'm thinking a 3AG type slo-blo with wire leads and insulated tubing over it would be easy to connect inside the capacitor box (pic attached). In any case, a new pump in a 15 y/o system is not the worst thing... If it prevents a no-heat call in the middle of the night (I'm the landlord) and/or replacing another $300 control box. I'm good!

Thanks again for your suggestions!
Inline fuse holder or a panel mount in top of honeywell control.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks