Rerouting weird drain configuration...does this REALLY need a vent?

Users who are viewing this thread

madtownjeremy

Reaction score
Hello!

I've been scouring this site and google for days for what I'm guessing is a ridiculously simple solution to my problem.

In the photo you can see that the discharge valve on my softener has a threaded 5/8" male connector, to which 5/8" copper piping is connected using a brass compression fitting. This pipe then runs about 4' vertically to the basement floor, a 90 degree bend, and then horizontally to the drain about 4 feet away (not pictured). The necessary air gap is provided by about a foot of distance between the end of the line and the drain.

It's a very lazy and ugly solution that I'd like to get rid of, but here's the thing...the vertical copper pipe has this vent...is this vent REALLY necessary?

I'd thought about rerouting the drain line over to a laundry sink by cutting the pipe at the red line in the photo and then using polyurethane hose (the run would be about 10' total) or even by cutting up the existing copper drain pipe and rerouting it using sharkbite elbows or something, but either way, as long as the route is properly sloped downward, do y'all think I need to implement a venting or vacuum-breaking solution on this discharge line?

Seems like I should be able to just attach a line however I can and just let it run, and maybe I'm overthinking it...but I'd rather be sure before I go and create some sort of weird negative pressure situation in the system.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

20210801_173153.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
It's a very lazy and ugly solution that I'd like to get rid of, but here's the thing...the vertical copper pipe has this vent...is this vent REALLY necessary?
No. It will cause the pipe to empty, but it probably would have emptied anyway. That extra pipe might prevent a gurgle sound, but that sound would be not much. But maybe that was the thought.

You can route the pipe over your laundry sink with either material. You could even go up to the ceiling, across, and down.

madtownjeremy

Reaction score
No. It will cause the pipe to empty, but it probably would have emptied anyway. That extra pipe might prevent a gurgle sound, but that sound would be not much. But maybe that was the thought.

You can route the pipe over your laundry sink with either material. You could even go up to the ceiling, across, and down.

Thanks very much! I really appreciate the confirmation!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks