Repurpose a boiler combination gas valve for a gas fireplace?

Users who are viewing this thread

Nathan Davis

Reaction score
When I replaced my boiler about 10 years ago, I scavenged a Robertshaw 7200 IPER combination gas valve off of it. It has three terminals marked M, C, and P, and a ground terminal. The valve is marked LP, but it was used for natural gas.

Now, I'd like to install a gas fireplace with a standing pilot and a wall switch to turn the burner on/off. Is there any way that I can re-use this gas valve without purchasing a pilot ignition system such as a 780-845?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I cannot find a description of the valve so cannot tell how it operates. But since I do NOT see a control that would interface with a standing pilot, I think you would need an "igniter" safety switch. I think you would be better off with a valve that is powered by a millevolt "thermopile" and thus not need a transformer for power. The internal pressure regulator in the valve would be completely useless for natural gas because it is set for almost twice the natural gas setting.

Last edited:

Nathan Davis

Reaction score
I cannot find a description of the valve so cannot tell how it operates. But since I do NOT see a control that would interface with a standing pilot, I think you would need an "igniter" safety switch. I think you would be better off with a valve that is powered by a millevolt "thermopile" and thus not need a transformer for power. The internal pressure regulator in the valve would be completely useless for natural gas because it is set for almost twice the natural gas setting.

Thanks for the info. I suspected that it probably wouldn't work without an ignitor assembly of some sort, but was hoping otherwise. The valve has a single on/off lever that you can depress in the ON position, maybe to ignite a pilot? But I am unsure if the contacts marked M, C, and P will operate similar to those normally marked TP, and TH.

I haven't had good luck with millivolt systems built specifically for fireplaces. My father had one in his new house, and had to replace it almost every season. I had one in a new fireplace and had to replace it after one season. Instead of replacing it with the same system, I replaced it with one that I scavenged off a water heater. That was 9 years ago and it is still working great. I suspect that the systems made for water heaters and boilers are possibly better quality than those made for a fireplace. So I'm tempted to buy a Robertshaw 7000 and try to use it. Any ideas?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks