Can you run propane through a natural gas valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mark249

Reaction score
My daughter picked up a used 2 year old hot water heater just so we could get hot water back in the house. In the mean time as I was getting ready to remove the boiler mate that was leaking and I noticed the leak was from coming from a plastic drain valve under the tank, put a nipple in and a cap which stopped the leak. I now have that power vent 40 gal water heater sitting in the garage which is pending sale, she wants to resale it and put the money towards a 50 gal tank that she wants. Problem is, the person wants to come look at the heater and makes sure that it runs, only thing is I don't have a gas line in the garage to fire the tank up. Someone told me to just hook a BBQ propane tank to the heater just so the person can see the burner works, is that possible to do? Can you run propane through a natural gas valve just to see if the burner will ignite?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
roll it over to the meter and hook it up. I see you are from Buffalo ... assuming you have good weather there

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks