Replacing well pump, should I replace the wiring?

Users who are viewing this thread

Kenny Ford

Reaction score
Hello I am replacing a well pump in a 18 year old well. I already have it pulled. Bad motor. When we were pulling it we scraped the wires gainst the well casing. I have visually checked the wires and checked with voltmeter for shorts also checked with 12 v battery and motor while I had the wires submerged in a Barrell of water. Is that good enough or should I replace the wires? If so can I use UF-B wire as I have it already? Pump is 3 wire 220 volt

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Good double jacketed wire can be used over and over. Cheap single jacketed wire gets scraped on the casing, you probably should get new wire. The barrel of water test works, but the wire is still compromised. It all depends on how hard it is to pull the pump. Hard and/or expensive to pull, replace the wire. Easy to pull yourself, you can see how long the wire will last.

Kenny Ford

Reaction score
Thanks. That is what I Hought, but hoped to save 300 dollars. I still don't understand why three separate wires is better than three separate wires in a sheath. Insulation looks about the same
Some of the skinned places didn't look new. Is it possible for the pump to have worked 17 years with bare wires? I know it hasn't been touched since it was first installed

ThirdGenPump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've pulled up pumps that finally failed after the copper itself was worn all the way through breaking contact. So yes installs with exposed copper can still run. Water isn't as conductive as people think. Testing the wires with a high powered ohm meter will often pick of leakage a conventional multi-meter won't. Electrical leaking from the wire will lead to premature failure of the motor. I would generally opt to replace 17y/o braided with. A double insulated wire of that age I'd inspect and likely re-use.

Three separate wires in an addition sheath is better than 3 braided wires. You pay more for double insulated wire.

Kenny Ford

Reaction score
But is 10-2 UF-B wire ok? It is double insulated isn't it. I already have a big roll of it so I wouldn't have to buy more. I've already replace the pressure tank and switch. Bad pressure tank isiwhat caused the pump to fail.
AsoA any tips for putting I back in in freezing weather. I am afraid the pipe will crack if I do it now

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks