Replacing Valley Cartridge

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by ucfmike, Aug 29, 2009.

  1. ucfmike

    ucfmike New Member

    Aug 29, 2009
    I just wanted to replace bath tub handles so the place was nice for the new renters. A series of impatient moves on my part and I'm now trying to figure out how to replace the cartridge.

    The valley faucets are in a townhome built in 2000. When attempting to replace the handle's I broke the stems. I then purchased this cartridge:

    The stem part matches perfectly to the one I broke, but when pulling out the cartridge, I broke the bottom part of that picutre. Now I'm wondering after further examination if I don't have this cartridge:

    in either case, I have half the cartridge out, the stem part, how do I get the rest of the cartridge out?

    thanks early for the help.
  2. jimbo

    jimbo Plumber

    Aug 31, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    websites such as the famous auction site, hd dot, etc, are of necessity filtered out on this forum.

    I am surprised you have valley, because I thought they were out of business way before the year 2000. Any, the availability of cartridges and handles is limited, and dwindling each year. I would consider opening the wall from the back side and changing the whole valve.
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

  4. ucfmike

    ucfmike New Member

    Aug 29, 2009
    I'm assuming valley, because that's what the face plate said, and the cartridge does match.

    Opening up the wall and replacing the entire valve is more than I would like to spend right now.

    I've read other posts in this forum, and it sounds like the cartridge just pulls out.

    If that's the case, how does it stay in.

    I'm having a hard time pulling this one out, and I don't want to break anything else, so I'm just now being cautious.
  5. hj

    hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

    Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona

    WE need a picture to see what you have and what damage you may have done to it. Most Valley's are repaired by removing a locknut and pulling the stem or cartridge out of the body. It is pretty difficult to screw them up while doing it, but I suppose it could be done.
  6. ucfmike

    ucfmike New Member

    Aug 29, 2009
    Here is the picture of the cartridge that is still in the pipe. The tab on the bottom is broken.


    Should that part pull out?

    Here is replacement part

    Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
Similar Threads: Replacing Valley
Forum Title Date
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Need help replacing Moen 1225 Tub cartridge Oct 10, 2017
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Replacing Bathtub Jan 6, 2017
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Replacing bathtub shoe gasket Nov 17, 2016
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Replacing tub valve set: which side of the wall to work from? Nov 10, 2016
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Replacing shower drum trap Oct 21, 2016

Share This Page