Replacing Pressure Reducing Valve - Questions *Fixed*

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
How about a 3/4" x 1/4" PVC Sch. 40 Spigot x Female Bushing? I suspect the plastic is thick enough for that female thread to be strong enough. I am thinking to screw the gauges into the bushings before gluing them into the tees. That way the gauges will face the right way.

438-098-4.jpg
438-098-2.jpg

Last edited:

danisrael8

Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I hope y'all get to enjoy the day off, eat some good food, and spend time with friends and family.

Trying to overcome the brass male to female pvc conundrum.... would this work better? Or is more connection points more prone to leaking?

Thanks,
Dan
Plan.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Trying to overcome the brass male to female pvc conundrum.... would this work better?
Not for the gauges in my opinion. I would not bother with the valves to the gauges either.

There is another tool you could consider. You could use schedule 80 or schedule 120 pvc threaded pipe or nipples. They have the same OD as schedule 40. Never thread schedule 40. You could screw the threaded end into a brass fitting, and glue the unthreaded end.

I don't know if the prohibition of new PVC applies to the crawl space or only to the heated space of the house.

danisrael8

Reaction score
Hi All,

I just wanted to update everyone on my repairs. Changing out the main line PRV fixed my issues of pressure drop and changing the expansion tank fixed the over pressure issue when the water heater runs.

I checked the strainer on the water heater PRV and it seemed like it had some gunk in it but nothing terrible. I also found out while changing the water heater PRV and expansion tank that my main shut off was bad so I had to replace that as well. All in all it was a very good learning experience. I am glad I used unions on the PRV or else I would have had to redo the work (threaded pvc was leaking and needed one more turn on each side). So far so good with no leaks! I'll be going out and getting supports tomorrow. Here are some pictures for those interested. The incoming pressure is 130 psi and is reducing down to 55 psi (65 when the water heater is running.) When multiple faucets are opened it drops to 45 psi.

Thanks everyone for their help!!
Dan

20181125_212758.jpg

20181123_155853.jpg

20181125_212833.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks