Replacing my sprinkler pump for the third time

Users who are viewing this thread

Stacey5659

Reaction score
OK, so I was noticing lately that my sprinkler's were putting out very little water, about 1/3 - 1/4 normal amounts. This would be at the beginning of the cycle so I doubt very seriously that I had run out of water from the well point side. My irrigation system has been in place for about 13 years and I have never had any problems with the water, only the pumps. Yesterday, I was determined to find out what the problem was. I started the pump and I never got any water to come out of the sprinklers. So I went back to look at the pump, and after looking, I saw it smoking. So my first thing now I guess is to get a new pump. I have always gotten the convenient pumps, i.e. the ones at big name hardware stores. Right now, the ones that would be convenient for me to get are brands like Utilitech (lowes), Simer (Sears), or Wayne (Home Depot), but after looking at reviews, I am really not impressed and feel it would only be a quick fix that will give me ore problems sooner than later. I would be willing to pay a little extra money for a quality pump that has a good reputation for lasting a long time. My last pump was a WaterAce R15L (1.5 HP centrifugal pump, I think that is the type they are called. I know it was not a jet pump), and the one before that was a Myers 1 1/4hp pump. It lasted a very long time, and the WaterAce only lasted about 2 years. So I would like to replace it with a 1.5 hp pump, but do not know what is considered to be a good brand to buy. I was looking at a Gould GT15, 1 1/2 pump, but have not be able to find any reviews. It will be an outdoor pump under an enclosed housing or shed of some sort. I have 3 well points buried about 20', and my hard pan was at about 5 feet so the water level, when full, is at about the 6 or 7' range. I never considered a jet pump since I thought they were more for home use and such. Would that give me any benefits to go with a jet pump. My second question, is there a chance that the well points can get clogged and could have originally caused the initial problem of having very little water coming out of the sprinkler heads, which could have caused the motor to eventually freeze up, causing me to have to replace it. Is there anyway I can either check or, or clean out the well points prior to pump installation.

So, my questions at hand are:
1. What is a really good brand of pump to use for a yard sprinkler system, and should I get a centrifugal pump or a jet pump.
2. Is there any way to check to see if the well points are clogged, and if so, what can I do to fix the problem.

Thank you all very much. Stacey

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
You can add a temp. sensor to the head of the pump to shut it down before it smokes. Sounds like no water.

Most of those pumps fail because of cheap start switch or start capacitor. easy fixes. But no water kills ANY brand pump quick, so you might not want a 500$ Goulds.

Stacey5659

Reaction score
Is there any way I can see if it is a water issue (or clogged well points) before I put the new pump in? I have had this same well for about 14 years and I have never had an issue with water.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Even cheap start switches and capacitors will last longer if you don’t let the pump cycle on and off. If the pump is cycling on and off while you use water, make it stop cycling and it will last much longer. Running out of water causes different problems like making the seal leak and melting the impeller but, the motor doesn’t smoke.

Disconnect it from the well and draw water from a bucket or barrel to test the pump. Just put the hose in the bucket and recirculate the water, using a ball valve to simulate pressure.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If the sand points are getting clogged, there are a few possible remedies. One is to surge the well. A close fitting surge block is worked up and down, sort of like plunging a toilet. Another is to pump water into the well. If the screen is clogged from hard mineral buildup, dissolving is a possibility but that is usually reserved for more expensive deep wells. A 20' deep sand point is relatively easy to pull up and replace.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks