Replacing Emergency Lights in Office - Question about Wiring

Users who are viewing this thread

Cai24

Reaction score
I have a small office, and I am replacing the emergency lights. The existing ones were old, and I just wanted something new and modern. Upon removing the existing unit, I noticed that the original electrician cut a small hole in the drywall (above the box). It looks like he fed the wires into this space, so that he could mount the emergency lights higher. Is this allowed? I would mount my new lights lower, but then you will see this hole in the wall. Worst case, I can always repair the drywall. If you look closely in the picture, you can see that there is some type of steel stud running horizontally. This goes in front of the box, and I guess that's why the hole was cut. I just want to do whatever is correct and complies with code. One other question...In both the new and old unit, there is no clamp, push-in connector, or bushing in the knockout. Is one required? It doesn't appear to be a standard size, and a 3/8" clamp is slightly too small. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_2506.jpg
    IMG_2506.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 204

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
All wire connections must be made inside of a listed box. With NM wire, if the box has cable clamps, the cable must be fastened to structure within 12 inches of the box. Plastic boxes which no not have cable clamps must have the cable fastened within 9 inches of the box.

Stuff

Reaction score
Assume these are 120 volt lights. All connections are to be in a box. Hopefully that piece of steel is part of the box and just needs a box extension. Otherwise you might be tearing down walls.
If light is mounted in front of box you don't need a connector. What they did with the groove properly would require a cover over the box hole, then a cable or conduit to the light and in that case would require a connector.

Cai24

Reaction score
I should have been more descriptive in my post. These are emergency lights with battery backup, the kind you see in an office. They go on in the event the power goes out. From what I understand, the NEC permits connections inside of these units. I've attached a picture. When I took the old ones down, I realized that the electrician used the groove to route the wires through to the emergency lights. In the picture, you can see the knockout for the wires. My question is...Are the wires allowed to run this groove? Does the knockout hole have to be directly over the electrical box?

On a side note, it seems like the electrical box is in a terrible position. It is not flush with the drywall and is partially behind the steel stud in the wall. This is original to when the office was built, so I'm amazed that this was acceptable.

Attachments

• IMG_2519.jpg
    IMG_2519.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 191

Stuff

Reaction score
Not acceptable. Box needs to be flush with drywall or at most 1/4" back.
Wires not allowed in a grove.
Knockout hole has to be directly over box so wires are always protected by a box, fixture, or conduit. If wires are part of a cable (not stripped back) it might have been OK.

Cai24

Reaction score
Not acceptable. Box needs to be flush with drywall or at most 1/4" back.
Wires not allowed in a grove.
Knockout hole has to be directly over box so wires are always protected by a box, fixture, or conduit. If wires are part of a cable (not stripped back) it might have been OK.
I'd love to know how this passed inspection. The unit was built 25 years ago, but I imagine it wasn't compliant then. Never easy!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I have installed many wall-mounted lights such as those which go over a bath mirror which come only with the wire leads hanging out the back of the fixture. They are not made to mount to any electrical box, which sometimes leads one to do the best they can with what is available.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Why do they needed to be lowered? The mouse ear light fixture can be mounted with the lights on the bottom or upside down. A few years ago I looked into emergency lighting requirements. I could never find anything on mounting location or luminescence (how much light) is required.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the item is rated for direct wiring connections, it doesn't need a box - it essentially is its own box. Generally, it needs to be a rated enclosure to ensure the user is protected from the line voltage and prevent sparks from igniting something should there be a problem.

Stuff

Reaction score
I have installed many wall-mounted lights such as those which go over a bath mirror which come only with the wire leads hanging out the back of the fixture. They are not made to mount to any electrical box, which sometimes leads one to do the best they can with what is available.
If UL listed then they do mount to a box. Sometimes it takes a bit of head scratching, though.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
When a electrical box is not flush to the finish wall, electrical box extenders can be used. They come in various depths. The purpose is to minimize fire and smoke from the wiring to getting up inside wall.

accessories-be1-2-64_400_compressed.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks