Replacing Ejector Pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Fichael

Reaction score
This is our first home as well. Our ejector pump went out (according to the plumber). He told my husband what to do to replace it (why? Their price was almost 800). However, this is the YUCKIEST job I have ever had to assist with :eek:

Does my husband have to clean out everything in the pit before replacing the pump? We did find the existing pump (he took it outside and cleaned it). It is a light blue pump which I have seen several times-the Little Giant. Can this be replaced with the ones they sell at Home Depot? And again, what is the best way to get the existing :eek: out?

Any help would greatly be appreciated. My husband was put on disability for the next few months and we cannot afford to have someone replace this and I cannot do this one by myself.

THANKS

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Find Model Number.

Try to find the model number on the pump. Then someone can find the specifications and match them with any pump. There are a lot of brands and specs out there.

Since you have the pump out, put it in a big bucket of water and see if it works. Sometimes they just get a rag in them or something that plugs them up. Also, it could be the float switch or even just the cord.

Since I do all my own work, I consider nothing is dead until I prove it's dead. You have done most of the messy work so finding the cause of the problem is not much more with a lot of potential return.

Fichael

Reaction score
Thanks

I called my husband and told him to try it (plugging it in). You can see all the specifications on top of it too (which is good if we need to replace it).

Now do we have to clean the pit out or will it do it when we put the pump back in?

Thanks a lot for your quick response!

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would at least probe the pit with something to find out that it doesn't contain a dishtowel or something that could have plugged the pump. Then I would add water if it's not full and stir it to loosen anything in there. Then let the pump get rid of it.

When testing the pump, be sure to lift the float to simulate a full pit.

If it doesn't work right away, try to find how to apply power without the float to make sure it isn't just a float failure. I have seen float failures in those systems. You should be able to get a new float switch for less than $40. Be sure it is a "Pump down" model, meaning power on when water is high.

If you need to replace some kind of oddball float switch, you can still probably substitute one of the "ball on a cord" type. They usually come with a special plug that has a receptacle on its own plug that you plug the controlled motor into. More explanation available if it comes to that.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Cleaning A Pit

Its a god idea to make sure that their is
nothing "special" still in that pit

the bestway is to get a large old soup ladel

and a five gallon bucket and start dipping...

It would be a good idea to get a Zoeller pump with a
separate Mercury float type switch for a repleacement...

do not buy a pump that the switch and pump are integrated
into one wire ..

buy one that has a separate wire going to the
motor and a float switch that attaches to the standpipe...

the motor plugs into the back of the float switch, then if that
switch ever fails someday, its a lot easier to jsut change the switch
than having to break down the pump to change the switch built into it...

enyoy every moment dipping out that pit ,
they dont come that often...

dont forget to throw away the soup ladel......

Fichael

Reaction score
Oh NO

I hope I don't have to scoop :)

Here are the specs for what is on the pump now:

Model: 9S-CIM
115 V ~ 60 Hz
13.0A 1 Phase
Thermally Protected

Little Giant Pump Company
AHA21043430

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Google 9s-cim and you will find the pump available for a bit less than $250.
The 9s-cia is the same pump with a better switch arrangement and is available from Grainger Stock # 4NY90 for $230. If you know someone who can purchase from a local Grainger you may be able to get it without shipping.
Or you can get the 9s-cia-rfs (with the switch I prefer) from http://www.pumps-in-stock.com/little_giant_pump_9s-cia-rfs.html for $249 with free shipping.

Have you determined yet that you need a new pump?

Fichael

Reaction score
Sorry for the late response...things have been CRAZY (hubby ended up having to have surgery on his knee days before Christmas) :eek:

Anywho, I wanted to thank you ALL! We ended up getting a new pump. It is working fine. However, since we do not use the basement bathroom much and only wash once a week, GOD only knows how long it sat. Now the line where the water from the washing machine drains is completely backed up from what we assume is the pump issue...So on to the next problem LOL :D

But again, I just wanted to say THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!

Speedbump

Reaction score
I hope it's not too late to warn you about the big box stores pumps. Stay with the brand name stuff from supply co's etc.

bob...

Fichael

Reaction score
Uh oh

Bob...it might be. We went to Home Depot. That was the only place we knew of...I hope we did not make a huge mistake...I am worried now. :confused:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks