Replacing Drum trap

Users who are viewing this thread

Josiah Birdsong

Reaction score
Hello, I am having to replace this existing trap with a PVC trap in my house. I am not versed in plumbing as I am a Carpenter. Please help me to understand how I am to transition the existing drum with PVC I have not found a system that would work with current layout. Thanks in advance!

tub-drum-trap-leak-07.jpg

1559494862691983769241362637900.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
If you put in a P-trap, it will need a vent on the trap arm.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Why does the trap have to be changed?

You may already have taken care of this and I rotated the picture to make sense out of it. Is this drum and pipe made of lead or tin and it appears to be the bathtub trap? The pipe to the right leads to the drain, the left pipe is the vent and the bottom one is the tub drain. There are plenty of pictures and you tubes on how to a tub is to be connected. What may be difficult is to re-plumb for the vent since it is not known what type of pipe it is and its inside a wall. Depending on what type of pipe you'll need to connect, Fernco Shielded Couplings may have to be used to transition from new to old pipe. From the pictures the waste line is high near the floor. A PVC trap may come down about 6-8" from the floor, then there maybe a slope problem to connect to the main waste stack.

Attachments

• BjOCYbWYQxaLt8s6LJ1UMA_thumb_6c2.jpg
    BjOCYbWYQxaLt8s6LJ1UMA_thumb_6c2.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 243
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks